Competitive mobile apps depend strongly on the development team’s ability to deliver successful releases, consistently and often. Although continuous integration took a more mainstream priority among the development industry, companies are starting to realize the importance of continuity beyond integration and testing.
This book starts off with a brief introduction to fastlane—a robust command-line tool that enables iOS and Android developers to automate their releasing workflow.
The book then explores and guides you through all of its features and utilities; it provides the reader a comprehensive understanding of the tool and how to implement them. Themes include setting up and managing your certificates and provisioning and push notification profiles; automating the creation of apps and managing the app metadata on iTunes Connect and the Apple Developer Portal; and building, distributing and publishing your apps to the App Store.
You will also learn how to automate the generation of localized screenshots and mesh your continuous delivery workflow into a continuous integration workflow for a more robust setup. By the end of the book, you will gain substantial knowledge on delivering bug free, developer-independent, and stable application release cycle.
What You Will Learn
- Harness the fastlane tools for the Continuous Deployment strategy
- Integrate Continuous Deployment with existing Continuous Integration.
- Automate upload of screenshots across all device screen-sizes
- Manage push notifications, provisioning profiles, and code-signing certificates
- Orchestrate automated build and deployments of new versions of your app
- Regulate your TestFlight users and on-board new testers
Table of Contents
- Introduction to fastlane and Continuous Deployment
- Setting up fastlane and Our Sample Project
- Manage Provisioning Profiles with sigh
- Manage Code Signing Certificates with cert
- Sync Profiles and Certificates with match
- Manage Push Notification Profiles with pem
- Creating Our iOS and Android Apps with produce and supply
- Build and Package Apps for the App Store with gym
- Distribute to Testers with TestFlight and Crashlytics
- Review your App metadata with Precheck
- Taking Localized Screenshots with snapshot
- Put Our Screenshots Inside Frames with Frameit
- Upload Screenshots and Metadata with deliver
- Automate Unit Tests with scan
- Integrating Git into the Fastlane Workflow
- Creating and Using fastlane Action Plugins
- Integrating Slack into the fastlane Workflow
- Continuous Delivery Best Practices